Below you find out important information about the compulsory and optional insurance coverage during your studies.

From the first of January following their twentieth birthday, Swiss and foreign students with legal residence in Switzerland must pay 460 francs a year (minimum contribution) into the  Age and Surviving Dependants' insurance, Disability insurance, and Military Income Loss insurance fund. Students in paid employment must pay from the first of January following their seventeenth birthday, Students who earn an income or obtain a military income loss insurance payment, from which contributions of less than 478 francs (minimum contribution) are deducted, can have these contributions credited to them: they need then only pay the difference from the minimum contribution.

Detailed information regarding obligatory contributions can be obtained from the following office:
Ausgleichkasse des Kantons Bern
Zweigstelle der Stadt Bern
Schwanengasse 14
3011 Bern

T + 41 31 321 61 11

Insurance fund (German)